This iconic city is known around the world for its amazing art, high-fashion, and decadent cuisine. Paris has its own unique culture apart from the rest of France that one must experience at least once when traveling through Europe. I had the pleasure of visiting it for the first time and it certainly did not disappoint. Here are some of my favorite things to do in Paris:
- The Louvre – This world-renowned museum hosts magnificent sculptures, artifacts, and paintings inspired by various world cultures. The museum itself is so large and compromised of so many pieces, you will not be able to see it all in one, two, or even three visits. If you plan on visiting the Lourve during your trip to Paris, make sure to give yourself enough time to take in all the beauty and arrive early to avoid the insanely long lines that build throughout the day.
- Palace of Versailles – Technically, the palace lies outside of Paris but it is well worth making the trip by train to experience the luxurious residence. This UNESCO World Heritage site is one the greatest architectural achievements in French art. Nothing quite compares to the brilliance found inside and in the surrounding gardens. I highly recommend taking a day trip out to Versailles to visit this palace.
- The Champs-Elysées – This is arguably the most famous avenue in the world. This stretch features several beautiful sights along the way, including the Arc de Triomphe and the Tuilerie Gardens. You will discover traditional French cafes, boutiques, and city views. I found myself walking this strip several times during my trip in order to stop by many of the places lining the streets.
- Basilica du Sacre-Coeur – You will find the best tourist shops in front with all the Parision berets, detailed scarces, and Eiffel Tower shaped-souvenirs. Sacre-Coeur itself sits at the top of a series of steps with an incredible view of Paris. It is often crowded with tourists, so I recommend making this an early morning stop as the sun rises in order to get the best photos.
- Eiffel Tower – What would a visit to Pairs be without a visit to the Eiffel Tower? At the center of the city, this Parisian symbol epitomizes the beauty and magnificence of Paris. I made it a point to visit the city during the day for photography and again at night for the light show. It is truly a beautiful sight that is never without a crowd.